Daily Archives: September 15, 2012
Welcome! Welcome! Come on in, the door is open wide and you are invited to come in. May I take your coat? The champagne is to the left and waiters are about with tasty hor duerves. Be sure to head into the main lounge before too long as the party is about to begin.
I am very excited about chatting up Bel Canto with all of you. If you read it for the read a long (YAY!) or you read it some time ago, you are welcome to join in the fun and conversation that is happening here today.
Bel Canto comes from a term meaning “beautiful singing” and is an opera term. Bel Canto has won many awards including The Orange Prize for fiction, Faulkner Award and Amazons Best Books Of The Year Award in 2001.
Here are some questions to ponder for the discussion…
1. What makes Bel Canto Work? What is it about this book that draws you in and makes you imagine what if… and what would you do.
2. If Ann Patchett’s book feasible – could this really ever happen. Why or why not?
3. What do you think is the authors motive for writing this story?
4. What does Roxanne Cross bring to the book? Why is her character so central?
5. Was anyone to blame for what happened when the party was taken over and everyone became hostages? What precautions were missing?
6. Did you like the way the story was told, a narration of someone looking back and telling of past events. Would it have been better told from a present perspective – why or why not?
7. Would you recommend Bel Canto to others? Why or why not.
Feel free to respond to any or all of the above questions and add your own thoughts and questions as well. A linky has been set up for those who have also reviewed the book so please add your review to the link provided. Those who link their reviews of this book will receive an entry for a couple of Bel Canto party giveaways – relevant comments on this post that add to the discussion will receive one entry per relevant comment. I will announce winner on Tuesday morning.
The giveaways for this post are as follows:
Link your reviews here:
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…
Good morning. What a week and it has not ended yet. I have a full morning and then a friend from Book Club and I are going to the cities to have dinner with Sandra Brannon and then go to her book event at Magers and Quinn Booksellers. While I am tired now, I suspect as the time draws nearer I will get more and more excited.
For Saturday Snapshot today I was hoping to have pictures for you of my new and finished book shelves – but no, while the racks are up… the shelves are not. So… I will show you before and current state… and next week, hopefully the finished look.
And now, the beginning phases:
I am excited to get the shelves up and start organizing books!
Ok, final thing this morning…. winners from the BBAW week:
The Gods Of Gotham : Lindsey from Literary Lindsey!!!
Seconds Away by Harlan Coben audio Elizabeth from Silver’s Reviews!!!
Night Road by Kristin Hannah: Joys from Joys Book Blog!
and the $15 gift card goes to Karen White!!!
Thanks everyone – winners email me your mailing info (no po boxes please) to firstname.lastname@example.org and I will get those shipped to you this week.