2011-2012: Your Audiobook Year – Audiobook Week Discussion
Good afternoon! I am coming in a bit late here having to make room for the Monday What Are You Reading Meme. :D
Today is the Official kick off to Audio Book week! I am thrilled to participate as I am a HUGE Audio Book fan, a 2 1/2 year addict and proud of it. I can read one or two books a week with my crazy schedule, but I can double my read count by adding audio.
I am frequently asked how I can possibly read as much as I do and keep up with my job, my home, family, and busy lifestyle. The answer is simple:
Now believe me, I have heard from you naysayers…. (oh you know who you are! ;) ) You have told me, “Sheila I could not possibly sit and focus on an audio book.. I would just fall asleep!”
Well, here’s the rub, so would I!
I don’t sit and listen to audio. Instead I use audio for my active times. Here is a sample of a normal day with audio:
1. I get up in the morning and while I get ready for my day (pick out clothes, shower, make up, hair, make bed…) I have my IPOD sat up in the bathroom off of our bedroom so I can listen while I get ready. Approx 30-40 minutes each morning.
2. I go out to the kitchen and while I make coffee, pack a lunch, let the dogs out and straighten up the kitchen area, I listen to an audio in a cd player on the counter. Approx 15 minutes a morning.
3. I get in my car and drive to work, run errands, return home to a third audio book going in my car…. approx. 30+ minutes a day.
4. In late afternoon while I prep dinner, put away groceries, do dishes, fold laundry, dust, clean up, I am back to the kitchen audio in the cd player. Approx 30- 45 min more from afternoon listening.
5. Any evening meetings, commitments, etc… car time = audio time. Approx another hour throughout the week in evening commitments.
6. On the days I ride bike alone, use the tread mill, or roller blade, I listen to audio on my IPOD – approx (depending on the week) and additional 2 hours of listening per week.
7. When I mow the lawn I listen to my IPOD audio book, add on another 3 hours a week.
That is about 18.5 hours a week I listen to audio which may sound like a lot – but it is all ACTIVE listening. I am getting other things done while I listen.
Throughout this week I will be talking about audio books and doing a giveaway with every audio review I do this week so watch for that! I want to leave you today with a list of a few of my favorites over the past year (although I am currently listening to a couple amazing ones that may be added to this list soon)!
For those who know and love audio – these are” must listens” if you have not as of yet. AND if you are new to audio, or curious, as you will learn this week… not all audio is created equal and having some good audio book recommendations before you go it alone is the key. Each of these I would say would make for wonderful first time audio listens and create fans.
My goal this week is hopefully to have at least one non audio book listener decide to give it a try this week. If that is you, please let me know… and I would also love to know the result after your experience. If you take this challenge and let me know – I will put you in a drawing for a little package from me to celebrate your audio conversion. :D